Federal Agency Sites
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Department of Homeland Security
- DOE Computer Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC)
- Computer Security Technology Center (CSTC)
- Information Design Assurance Red Team (IDART)
- Information Operations Red Team and Assessments (IORTA)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Computer Security Division
- National Information Assurance Research Laboratory (NIARL)
- NIST Computer Security Resource Clearinghouse
- National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA)
- Plans, Customer Service, and Information Assurance Division (N5)
- ICAT Metabase
ICAT is a searchable index of information on computer vulnerabilities. It provides search capability at a fine granularity and links users to vulnerability and patch information.
- National Vulnerability Database (NVD)
DoD/Military Service Sites
- National Security Agency, Central Security Service—Information Assurance
- Information Assurance Support Environment
- Office of Technology Transition
- Department of Defense Computer Emergency Response Team (DoD CERT)
- ASD NII
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Rainbow Series Library
Performs trusted product evaluations. The program focuses initially on products with features and assurances characterized by the Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria (TCSEC) C2 level of trust
- Naval Postgraduate School Information Warfare Academic Group (IWAG)
- Joint C4I Systems
- The Joint C4ISR Battle Center
The Joint C4ISR Battle Center (JBC) has an assessment team that conducts assessments on IA and CND technological solutions that enhance interoperability and NETOPS for the deployed JTF.
- Defense Cyber Crime Center
- Chief Information Officer, Networks & Information Integration (CIO-NII)
- Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA)
- DISA – Approved Products List Integrated Tracking System
- DISA – Fact Sheets
- Internet Traffic Report
The Internet Traffic Report monitors the flow of data around the world. It then displays a value between zero and 100 and is updated every 15 minutes. Higher values indicate faster and more reliable connections.
- Electronic Privacy Information Center Home Page
Public interest research center in Washington, D.C.
- Information Security Portal
This site provides information concerning the topic of Information Warfare including security tools, the law and legal issues, espionage, terrorism, and information operations.
- Internet Privacy Coalition
- International Computer Security Association (ICSA)
ICSA is known worldwide as an objective source for security assurance services.
- Glossary of Information Warfare Terms
- Cyberwar – Information warfare and psychological operations
Provides information on the topics of propaganda analysis, online journals, index and metapages, general resources, intelligence agencies, and articles and documents.
- Reliable Software Technologies (RST): Information Warfare
- RAND National Security Research Division
This division conducts research for RAND’s national security research sponsors other than the U.S. Army and Air Force. It contains the National Defense Research Institute (NDRI), RAND’s federally funded research and development center for the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Staff, and the defense agencies.
- Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST)
FIRST brings together a variety of computer security incident response teams from government, commercial, and academic organizations. FIRST aims to foster cooperation and coordination in incident prevention, to prompt rapid reaction to incidents, and to promote information sharing among members and the community at large.
- International Association for Cryptologic Research (IACR)
The International Association for Cryptologic Research (IACR) is a non-profit scientific organization whose primary purpose is to further research in cryptology and related fields.
- International Biometrics Industry Association (IBIA)
- Military Information Services, Inc.
Military Information Services (MIS) is a Washington DC based consulting and sales group. Provides open source intelligence data retrieval, collection and analysis products in addition to a full range of editorial support services for defense and intelligence organizations, research centers, libraries, trade publications and information groups worldwide.
- Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
A list of standardized names for vulnerabilities and other information security exposures – CVE aims to standardize the names for all publicly known vulnerabilities and security exposures.
- Institute for Applied Network Security (IANETSEC)
The Institute for Applied Network Security is the premier membership organization for practicing information security professionals. The Institute’s mission is to provide key technical and business insights to help members solve their most pressing professional challenges.
Academic Institution Sites
The National Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAEIAE) Program is an outreach program designed and operated initially by the National Security Agency (NSA) in the spirit of Presidential Decision Directive 63, National Policy on Critical Infrastructure Protection, May 1998. The NSA and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in support of the President’s National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace, February 2003, now jointly sponsor the program. The goal of the program is to reduce vulnerability in our national information infrastructure by promoting higher education in information assurance (IA), and producing a growing number of professionals with IA expertise in various disciplines. CSIAC partners with the NSA Centers of Excellence to gather information on cutting edge IA technologies discovered and developed by the research community. CSIAC leverages the findings of these centers to further the IA community as a whole.
The complete list of NSA/DHS current National CAE designated institutions can be found here: https://www.iad.gov/nietp/reports/current_cae_designated_institutions.cfm
Cyber Security Focused Organizations
- Peter Kiewit Institute
The Peter Kiewit Institute is shaped by the dynamic alliance of education and industry. The Institute’s mission is to fuel collaborations and fire the imagination of faculty, students and business alike. In so doing, the Institute offers exceptional career opportunities for students and provides the business community with a growing labor pool of skilled professionals.
- The SANS Institute
The SANS (System Administration, Networking, and Security) Institute is a cooperative research and education organization through which more than 96,000 system administrators, security professionals, and network administrators share the lessons they are learning and find solutions for challenges they face. SANS was founded in 1989.
- Computer Operations, Audit, and Security Technology (COAST)
Subsumed by The Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security (CERIAS) in 1999, COAST was a multiple project computer security research laboratory in Purdue’s computer science department.
Like CERIAS, COAST functioned with close ties to researchers and engineers in major companies and government agencies. COAST’s research focused on real-world needs and limitations, with a special focus on security for legacy computing systems.
- CERT Program
In a world in which the threat of cyber attacks is contained but not eliminated, and where threats from unknown sources are dynamic and constantly changing, the CERT Program mission is to identify, research, develop and mature, and broadly transition new technologies, system development practices, and system management practices that enable informed trust and confidence in using information and communication technology.
- The Computer Security Institute
An international membership organization offering training specifically targeted to information security professionals.
- The Institute for Security Technology Studies (ISTS)
ISTS at Dartmouth College is dedicated to pursuing interdisciplinary research and education for cyber security and emergency response technology.
- National Security Agency Science of Security Initiative
The National Security Agency Research Directorate sponsors the Science of Security Initiative to promote foundational cybersecurity science that is needed to mature the cybersecurity discipline and to underpin advances in cyberdefense. The SoS initiative works in several ways. 1) Engage the academic community for foundational research, 2) Promote rigorous scientific principles, and 3) grow the SoS community. The SoS Virtual Organization is the SoS’s initiative online home. More information about the NSA SoS Initiative Efforts.